QMed was founded by a few medical students committed to addressing the health disparities of the LGBTQ community. We have grown to a group of students and staff that are both queer and straight allies who believe in the importance of equality in healthcare for all people.
We strive to ensure a welcoming, respectful and safe academic environment for Queer students at the University of Washington Medical School.
We are committed to supporting a diverse community on campus and will provide resources and support for Queer students.
UWSOM is a unique medical school in that our WWAMI region ranges from deep urban to very remote rural settings, and everything in between. Our responsibility to provide quality care for all our future patients in any setting fuels the QMed mission:
1. Educate ourselves and colleagues about health issues specific to LGBTQ patients, focusing on awareness and clinical skills
2. Matriculate LGBTQA pre-medical students to improve the representation among health professionals
3. Advocate within our communities to address disparities in healthcare delivery
4. Collaborate with other student groups and local organizations for interdisciplinary educational and social events
5. Celebrate the unique character of the LGBTQ population and the medical community actively striving to serve it better!
IT GETS BETTER video, by UW QMed
A special hello from QMed Seattle to our WWAMI fellow peers!