This class is an Introduction to Particle and Nuclear physics, though this year we will concentrate mainly on Quantum Electrodynamics. It means TTh from 11:30am to 12:50 in PAA A110.
Introduction to Elementary Particles by David Griffiths
Publication Date: October 13, 2008
Shih-Chieh Hsu (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Feel free to contact me to setup other times.
Schedule (assignments, reading, etc.)
All reading is pulled from our textbook, Introduction to Elementary Particles. Everything listed here that is "in the future" is an estimate. For me the core of the course is in chapters 6 and 7. As noted, HW will be due on Thursday of the following week at the start of class.
HW (due following Thu!)
||Chapters 1 & 2 (this should be review for you)
||HW1: 3.4, 3.5, 3.12, 3.25, 3.27
||HW2: 4.5, 4.21, 4.23, 4.25, 4.29;
(4.26 will not be graded);
Figure out talk group;
||Chapter 4 & 6
||HW3: 4.31, 4.36, 4.40, 6.1, 6.4
||HW4: 6.6, 6.8, 6.10, 6.11, 6.12 (due 10/24)
||HW5: 6.13, 6.14, 6.15 (Due 10/29); Determine talk topic
||Chapter 7 / Midterm on 10/31
||No Homework (exam)
||HW6: 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, 7.5, 7.6; Create Talk Outlines
||HW7: 7.7, 7.10, 7.16, 7.20, 7.22 (Due 11/26)
||Chapter 7/ Talk on 11/21
||HW8: 7.25, 7.36, 7.37, 7.39, 7.46 (Due 12/3);
||Talk on 11/26
||No Homework (exam)
||Final Exam, 4:30pm-6:20 pm, PAA A110
My travel schedule.
I'll be out-of-town in following classes. I will do remote connection to the seminar reports.
- Oct 29 - Chapter 7 by Jason Detwiler
- Oct 31 - Mid-term hosted by Shawpin Chen
- Nov 15 - Chapter 7 (distributed to Nov 5/7/12)
- Nov 22/26 - Student seminars chaired by Seyda Ipek
The class has three main components for grading:
- The homework. The total HW score will be worth 44% of the overall grade.
- HW problems assigned weekly, due on Thursday. You can hand in a problem set late (up to one week) and I will take 25% off the grade.
- They are due at the start of class in lecture or by emailing a scanned document to me before the start of class time.
- Each problem will be graded on a scale of 10 points.
- Most of the weeks all problems will be graded. Depending on TA resources some weeks we may grade less.
- The lowest HW score will be dropped
- The Exams. A midterm and a final will each be worth 18% of your final grade. Both exams will be done in-class
- The Talks. The talks will be worth 20% of your overall grade. 5% of that is the outline and the other 15% is the talk itself.
The final grade will be non-competively curved. I will take the top 10% or so (depending on how grades clump) and given them a 4.0. I will then divide up the points below that into equal bins, one bin for each 0.1 in GPA. Where you fall will determine your grade.
The only required item is the textbook: Introductoin to Elementary Particles, by David Griffiths - the 2nd revised edition (copyright 2008). It should be availible at the bookstore.